One great drummer I used to play with had a habit of humming or vocalising rhythms while he was playing - it became apparent when we were listening back to his isolated track after a recording session and trying to pinpoint where the sound was coming from... it was his own voice.
Here's a shortlist of some of my personal favourites:
- Click / grind their teeth to create rhythms (I'm not a drummer and I have seriously seen a dentist about this myself...!)
- Practice far too fast for their own good
- Sneeze mid-song and try their best not to lose time
- Try to throw the bass player off in rehearsals for laughs
- Fail to explain 7/8 to the guitarist
- Buy far too much food at service stations
- Count into the wrong song
- Panic when they can’t remember how the next song starts, then breathe a sigh of relief when they hear somebody else play the intro
- Play the kick drum when the sound engineer yells “bass please”
Just kidding drummers! I'm sure if you pulled together a list of all the nerdy things keyboard players do I'd be red-faced. For more of a laugh read the full compiled list of silly things drummers do over at the Drummer's Database site.
Paul Doolan provides online keyboard session recordings for bands and solo artists.
Want to add keyboards to your track? Learn more now.